FacebookFlickrBlogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Guest Bloggers: Tour of the Bay training schedule

This week's Guest Blogger is Rochelle who's completing the 50km Tour of the Bay next weekend (eekkk). Hear how her training is going.


After initial feelings of ‘what have I got myself into’ and questions to laughing colleges like ‘How far is 50 kms, is that more than from Napier to Hastings?’ I decided I might as well get into it. So on week one, I completed my first bike ride to the Avanti shop in Taradale and back to Tamatea.

The friendly staff serviced my bike while I shopped. Turns out I needed new brake pads. That was lucky. The knowledgeable lady helped me with arm warmers, a bike pump and a flash odometer thing so I can see how fast I’m going. Really impressed with their service; they attached the odometer, new front light, bottle holder and pump while I continued shopping!

The next weekend I decided more of a challenge was needed. So, ignoring my Dad’s advise of a small loop on the map, I decided on some different roads that looked a bit longer and biked off, new arm warmers on and odometer ready. Maps don’t show hills. Three hours and 45kms later and after puffing around Puketapu, Puketitiri, Apley and Dartmoor Roads I arrived home exhausted but happy I’d accomplished it.

Every cyclist I met waved and said “hello”, it was a great experience. It was only sheer determination of “if that person can bike up the hill without getting off, so can I” that got me through it.

Highlight: 52.4 km/hr down a hill on Apley Road, yeeee haa!

On week three I biked with a group of people, including my Dad. He taught me how to bike in the slipstream of the person in front and how to rotate who the leader is. Like the lycra-clad cyclists speeding around the velodrome. Except there was no velodrome and thank god, no lycra. It was a bit scary at first, but by the end of the 38kms I was more comfortable with it.

I didn’t go for a bike ride last weekend, but may do the 45km route again this Sunday and try to improve my time. That’s what I’m planning from the warm comfort of my office chair, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment