FacebookFlickrBlogger

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guest bloggers: Biking saves time

This week Andrea Taaffe gives us an insight into her morning routine! Enjoy.



Should I drive or should I bike?

Well when you find out the distance I have to drive you will shake your head and say “that’s an easy answer’’! I live 1km from the centre of town (give or take a few 100 meters – that is actually quite important to a lady, it’s the difference between a lettuce leaf or a meatball at 10am!) Anyway as you can imagine whenever possible I ride my bike to work, or the shops, library and on occasion to an establishment of social engagements – stay focused!

To my amazement by the time I find my car keys (they have legs and are always on the move), start and warm up the car, get out of the car, open the gate, close the gate, get back into the car, get caught in traffic, find a carpark then walk to work it takes me 10 minutes longer than it does for me to get my bike out, open and shut the gate and bike straight to work avoiding traffic queues and parking problems. Now even easier with all the funky bike racks around! Plus not paying ridiculous petrol prices or getting stressed about being stuck in a queue – yes I am a tad impatient, hence cycling is the perfect solution for me. Trust me the next time you cycle past a queue of cars have a quick peek at the expressions on the drivers faces – something not far off a dehydrated mouldy lemon!

So get out there and enjoy the benefits of cycling, I am yet to see the down side and I am a changed woman – wait until you hear about Gloria (yes, I’ve named my bike)!

Andrea :)

4 comments:

  1. Great blog and what a cool name for the bike! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you ! Can't quite see it working for me tho ... although if I biked all over town I would be extremely fit (just can't imagine my clients waiting for me to arrive at the next house LOL!). Regards, Donna Milburn

    ReplyDelete
  3. My commute is substantially longer than yours, however I still manage to save myself plenty of time (and money) by riding for part of it. I have a folding bike, that I keep in my car. I ride for probably 1/2 an hour each way - and on top of all the other savings, I get some pretty good exercise too.

    ReplyDelete